Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What I'm Reading: Kristi


Kristi writes:

I just finished reading the book Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo. Todd’s son had a near-death experience and over the course of several years, the boy reveals things he saw, heard, and experienced while in heaven. The boy is able to share things that neither parent had given him as previous information. It’s an interesting read. Of course, there’s the regular decision theology woven into it. Thankfully, you’re not asked to make the altar call. I don’t know what this boy really saw. Throughout the book, the parents ask their son to look at various drawings and paintings of Jesus, wondering if that’s what Jesus looked like. In the end, there is one painting that captures who the boy says that Jesus looks like. After reading it, I do wonder what heaven really will look like.

Have you read the book? What do you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this book but it does sound interesting. Though I'm always skeptical of people's heaven experiences it does make us curious about where we'll spend eternity. Our minds can't even grasp it. I often try to imagine what the world was like before the fall as well. Also incomprehensible! But I do look forward to this part of eternity with our Lord:

    "And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” Rev. 21:4

    ReplyDelete
  2. A woman at our church shared with me a seminar in SD she was interested in attending (I don't know if she did or not) that featured an author who "died" and experienced heaven for a few minutes (similar to the book you mention here, Kristi) and an author who supposedly had visions of hell. To the first, I thought, "Sort of interesting." To the second, I thought, "Yipe-ers." We're so curious about what heaven will be like (hopefully not so much about hell). I'm reminded of a part in the Anne of Green Gables series when Ruby Gillis is on her deathbed and she makes some comment about all of her concerns in this life being so trivial. Heaven will be so much greater than anything we can imagine, and even, I suspect, those glimpses some people may have had. I guess it's enough for me to read Revelation (thanks, Aubri!) when thinking about what heaven will be like (or C.S. Lewis's The Last Battle).

    ReplyDelete