Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Friday, March 18, 2011

Square Foot Gardening

Kathy F. writes:

Jenny and I are wanting to try this method for our gardens this year and I was wondering if there were any other gals who have successfully gardened that way. For those who have no idea what I am talking about, here is a link: Square Foot Gardening Foundation.

I bought the book and have been reading it and planning on the number of boxes and where I would put them. Even my husband has used my new endeavor as an excuse to buy a new power saw, after all "you want your boxes to be made right?"...timing is everything, isn't it?? But now, I am looking for tips and ideas so that this doesn't get added to my lists of "garden plans that flop!".

Pictures would be great too.

6 comments:

  1. On a similar note I'd love to hear about any composting experience...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still deciding where to put my garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to do this for a while now to have an herb garden in our yard, but alas our yard is a parsonage yard and a spendy one from what I gather so my husband doesn't think it's a good idea. Plus our spendy yard gets herbicides sprayed on it and I worry that would get in my garden.

    Sorry I'm no help but think this is a great idea and would love to hear how it goes for you ladies if you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aubri, did you know you can plant herbs in pots? Just a thought for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I square-foot garden, but without the frames (I just measure off with string, plant in squares, and that's it). I got a SFG book (1981 ed) at a garage sale a while ago, and it really works for our family. I like how the author emphasizes detailed planning (how much food you'll actually use, so you don't get overwhelmed), and starting small, and adding a few squares each year.

    We compost in a hole behind the garage. Tried a garbage can, but it didn't drain well, even with drilled holes. We run our leaves in the fall through the lawn mower (catching them in the clipping bag), and dump grass clippings in there in the summer. I stir it up when I think of it. The kids carry buckets of kitchen scraps out there each day. It composts slowly (3 months?), mostly because I don't do much with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish that my garden looked so neat and organized! Maybe I can finally get it planted this weekend before VBS starts!

    ReplyDelete