Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lenten Reflection

This morning we again woke to freshly fallen snow. Winter has definitely outstayed its welcome if you ask me! But as we endure the lingering cold and slosh slosh of warming snow I can't help but think how fitting that during this season of Lent, while we contemplate our Lord’s suffering and long for the joy that Easter brings, we should have to wait for the joy and warmth that Spring brings as well.

So I thought I'd share some Lenten reflections from Starck's Prayer-Book.

"O Jesus, my Jesus, how great is Thy love, which Thou hast shown me by Thy bitter suffering! Thou dost surrender Thyself into the most shameful death and the most cruel suffering for me, an unrighteous person, a sinner, and a child of death.

Oh, how great is Thy unspeakable mercy! my sins are laid upon Thee, in order that Thy righteousness may be bestowed upon me.

O my Jesus, when my heart would mislead me into sins, I will remember the sufferings which Thou didst endure and the blood which Thous didst shed. When the world by its evil example would entice me to do as it is doing, I will place before my eyes Thy bleeding image at the scourging and at the cross.

In the terror of my sins I will flee into Thy wounds. When my conscience fills me with fear, I will take Thy blood as my ransom. Yea, in my dying hour I desire to know nothing but Thee, O Jesus. In that last hour, O Jesus, be Thou my Comfort, my Joy, my Consolation, my Defense. Amen."

1 comment: