Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

I think it's a good thing to remember some of the saints that have gone before us and to teach our children about them. The saints we commemorate can be good examples of a godly life, preserving Christian truth during difficult times and how God was (and is) faithful to His children.

St. Patrick's Day is Thursday so this week at my house I've been talking to my girls about who St. Patrick was and how he taught the Irish about Jesus. I keep it very simple for my toddlers but did talk a bit about the Trinity, a simple topic no?

Here is a little more information about St. Patrick from LCMS.org

Patrick, Missionary to Ireland
Patrick is one of the best-known of the missionary saints. Born to a Christian family in Britain around the year 389, he was captured as a teenager by raiders, taken to Ireland, and forced to serve as a herdsman. After six years he escaped and found his way to a monastery community in France. Ordained a bishop in 432, he made his way back to Ireland, where he spent the rest of his long life spreading the Gospel and organizing Christian communities. He strongly defended the doctrine of the Holy Trinity in a time when it was not popular to do so. His literary legacy includes his autobiography, Confessio, and several prayers and hymns still used in the church today. Patrick died around the year 466.
I know the secular world loves to commemorate St. Patrick's Day as well and while some of that is quite fun (especially for those of us with Irish heritage) some of it is also quite well...secular. So in our home we will take the good and leave the bad.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some ideas I've come across to have fun with this saint's day. St. Patrick used shamrocks to "explain" the Trinity to the Irish people. The church uses many symbols for this mystery, so I don't mind displaying them around our house.

Crafts:
Shamrock Banner
Apple Stamp Shamrock
Trinity Shamrock and one here for older children
Felt Shamrocks

Last week my girls and I learned about St. Noah, the arc and God's rainbow. We continue talking about rainbows this week with St. Patrick's Day. The emphasis not so much on those little green elves and riches but on God's promise to us. Here are a few cute ideas for eating rainbows! Yum!

Treats:
Fruit Rainbow
Rainbow Cupcake
Rainbow Pudding
Blarney Biscuits
Chocolate Chip Cranberry Scones
Green Popcorn

Meals:
Shamrock Stew
Irish Stew
Lime Green Sherbet Drink
Colcannon
Shepherd's Pie

On Sat. March 19th the town of Wisner NE will be having their annual St. Patrick's Day Parade and other events. Sorry, I couldn't find more information online. I don't know too much about it but have wanted to go. This year the weather just might hold out for it!

Do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day? If so what do you like to do?


4 comments:

  1. WOW, Aubri -- thanks for all the info! I'm so bad about commemorating special days other than Christmas and Easter (and birthdays). You've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aubri - you are awesome! We made a St. Patrick's Day lapbook last year, so we'll be revisiting it tomorrow. We like to eat green foods and make our milk green with food coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE all those floating a babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies, I have a lot of fun with "special days", not that I always have the energy to pull it off, but try to do something. I like the green food idea and wanted to have green pancakes for breakfast today but we're out of syrup! Poo!

    Katy, Ha ha ha! Aren't they beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete