Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Friday, March 18, 2011

Jenny's Extreme Home Makeover!

Jenny could really use some help here. Any ideas for her?

The pictures are of problem areas in my home. I hate them. With a passion. I get stressed just looking at them. I start to feel panic when I think of organizing them. Not good huh? I need some fresh eyes and new ideas. I can't afford a home organizer and I've looked at so many blogs my eyes are "bloggy!" I'll try to explain what I've got.
The pic with the coats is just that - where the coats and bags hang when the boys come home. This works. I don't feel a need to change this. But the wall files to the left are not what I had in mind! I wanted them to be used for school papers etc. that the boys bring home. Things I need to look at, things that need to go back to school. They toss anything and everything in there and stuff gets lost and forgotten. The white board above it recently replaced a smaller one. I use it for my menu planning. It works pretty well here although I wish it were actually IN the kitchen.

The book shelf houses my cookbooks and recipe binders, a recent move from a small cupboard in the kitchen. I like it ok. I can see the books much easier now. Each of the boys has a plastic box to keep junk in and when it's full they are to empty it. Works ok.

In the kitchen I have what is a perfect command central, but it is far from perfect for me. It collects everything as you can see.

I hate having the printer and the black boxy thing whose name escapes me right now on the counter, but I don't think I have any other choices. The files on the far right look great and I liked the idea of them, but I don't use them.

I welcome any ideas you have. Thank you!

7 comments:

  1. Jenny, I feel your pain and frustration!! There are areas in my home that need help too. I struggle with giving you any ideas without actually SEEING your space and getting a feel for your issues. Maybe I will just have to take a field trip down to your place. But let me try a little bit. Starting with the first picture...the files by the coat racks. Are the files not what you wanted or are they just not working the way you want them to? Do you have the feeling you need to file those same sorts of papers in a different way? Do other things get shoved into the files that don't belong? Sorry, for all of the questions, but I need to get a feel for what your frustration is. Menu planning board: is there not a wall in the kitchen it can go on? (see, I need to know your space)...if not, would you be open to doing your menu planning in a different way?? I have a few ideas you could try. Ok...next picture...I was uncertain...is there something there that bothers you...I wasn't sure. Picture 3: command center....is ther stuff that collects there, yours or the families? Horizontal spaces are the WORST...at my home too...remember my window seat and hutch...UGH!!!...anyway...Would a few baskets help...or not? Are things just not finding their way to their proper home...or is there not a proper home for those things?? As far as the files...you said you like them but don't use them...do you know what you want to use them for?? Or is that part of the problem?

    Ok...I don't know if any of that is helpful...I hope a little...let's keep talking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My turn for a few suggestions... Instead of three wall files, can you have one box that the boys put all of their home papers into? Each night you and the boys go through it. Sign and return papers to backpacks and deposit unwanted items into the circular file.

    Could this box be put in Command Central? (I love that phrase.) Will the hard-drive go below your feet? Can the printer be put onto a little higher shelf? Perhaps Lucas can build you a little something for that.

    Menu-planning.... I think I know what Kathy may be suggesting, and that would be COOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kristi on consolidating the boxes into one "in box" where everything goes and has to be sorted each evening. Maybe papers into categories determined by priority. You could use those folders for this or a tiered tray like this one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Stackable-Filing-Trays-Inbox-Black/dp/B000I66RIU

    Or make one for your needs like this one:

    http://keephomesimple.blogspot.com/2010/06/end-of-paper-pile-up.html

    If the shelf is working okay with boxes for the boys that's good otherwise have you tried putting a low "shoe shelf" under the coats or in that room with their boxes on it? Something like this maybe bigger.

    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-Do-Two-Tier-Shoe-Shelf-in-Natural-Bamboo/14920175

    Or build something like this:

    http://www.adventureswithmykids.com/adventures-with-my-kids/2010/07/the-house-that-cleans-itself.html

    Here are just some cool ideas I liked for organizing with flair:

    Chalkpaint inside kitchen cabinet door (in Command Central area) for menu planning? Or on the wall where you keep cookbooks? Then you could use the white board for different things.

    How to here: http://www.dannylipford.com/video/kitchen-cabinet-chalkboard/

    I love the mounted mailboxes for hanging coats and using as a drop box! Look at the 7th pic here.

    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/sf/inspiration/inspiration-entryway-organization-116886

    Also, I thought I'd share this website with you all. It has some neat ideas for DIY projects, decorating and organizing.

    http://www.younghouselove.com/how-to/

    I think I win the GNWs "most links in a comment" award!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, Aubri. I can't link to your links. :(

    Thanks for all the ideas, girls. Everything is just so messy! Ick!

    I like the idea of combinging the 3 files into one. I'll think on that. I don't, however, want/need anything else on the counter so I really like using wall space.

    No wall room in the kitchen for a menu planner.

    There is a baseboard heater right below the hooks and coats. Really can't block that.

    Kristi, I WISH I could get the hard drive at my feet but there are cupboards under there and I don't think there's room. I'll measure....

    How do you gals handle these issues i your homes?? And by the way, you are all welcome to take a field trip down here anytime. We'll skip the organizing and just go for lunch and shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well poo. Did you try copying and pasting them into a new window? From what you've said they're probably not good solutions for you anyway. Sorry!

    Figuring out what to do with coats and incoming papers are my biggest headaches too. But I'm in a different stage of family life than you with big kiddos. So I have a little less "coat" to deal with. For now I've put some hooks inside a closet door down low so my girls can begin to learn how to hang their coats and use a dishpan for their boots and shoes. Papers sit on a counter until I can sort. Like you I use cork board and magnets to hang what needs to be seen.

    I agree though, it does sound like we all just need to come down and go shopping! And a margarita (ok, virgin) on the patio didn't you suggest that too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would it be useful to have more shelves put on the walls in the room off the kitchen?

    Did someone say field trip? Shopping? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete