Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Monday, March 7, 2011

Preparing for Lent


With Ash Wednesday just two days away I've been thinking about ways my family can observe the season of Lent. Though my children are 2 1/2 and under I still feel that it is very important to begin now some of the traditions I hope to continue as they grow older.

I have enjoyed following the new blog: http://churchyearinthehome.blogspot.com/

It is an excellent resource for ways to commemorate and celebrate days in our church calendar that very easily slip by unnoticed. (Please don't think I'm advocating that EVERY day in our calendar should be remembered, that's not really practical and I would never say they MUST be. I only think it can be good, useful and enjoyable at times to do so.)

So getting to my point. I think the author has supplied a great list (here) on ways to observe Lent this year with your family. I plan on using some of her suggestions.

I'd love to hear some of the ways you observe this season!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, this is very nice....actually the Ladies in my LWML Ruth's Circle is having a Reflection of Lent Tea/Coffee dessert for ladies April 2. I will be sending out invites soon. This isn't very family orninated but a nice way to connect with the ladies in your congration and other ladies in the different cities to learn about this Lenten season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this Beth Ann. We have something similar at our church but it has been canceled due to weather. However, attending such functions is a great way to begin Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So do I "give up" or "add" something during Lent? Perhaps adding more planned prayer time should be my Lenten pursuit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I always face this "dilemma" when Lent arrives. Take something on or give something up. I like your idea of "planned prayer time".

    I'm reading through my home pastor's Lenten devotion each night before bed and enjoying that. And would love to learn a lenten hymn, the WHOLE thing NOT just a line here and there! Other ideas I've had are RE-Memorizing parts of the small Catechism and actually reading the Large Catechism which I haven't done.

    ReplyDelete