Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Book: They Will See His Face – Part 4, Chapters 4-5

Kristi writes:

Eyer spends Chapter 4 sharing some wisdom regarding depression and the healing Word of God.

He identifies the difference between moments of depression and clinical depression.  I will not go into detail here lest I lead you astray with my minimal knowledge of the subject.  Know this: depression is not easily explained away.  Healing from depression must come from outside ourselves.  We, of our own accord, cannot walk away from depression or escape its claws.  The liturgy gives voice to our depression, expressing our grief and sorrow.  In the same way, the liturgy also brings healing.  The blessed and comforting Word of God is spoken in its truth and purity to our hurting souls.  The Holy Spirit works faith in us and shows us that Christ brings healing.

No matter how depressed or low I might feel, I have the solid Word of God that reminds me I am God’s child.  Whether or not I feel like being in church, I know that God’s Word is there FOR ME.  When I doubt whether God loves me, I know with 100% certainty that He does.  He tells me so in His Word, and He gives me the sacraments as tangible proof of His love.  When my feelings cause me to doubt God’s love, I cling to His Word and can be confident that He knows me.  What a blessed comfort.

Chapter 5 focuses on grief and the peace that only God gives.  Death is a reality.  I’ve been to numerous funerals, and it’s not easy to say good-bye to those we love.  However, for those who die in faith, death is not a permanent good-bye.  Rather, we can rejoice in the promise of a blessed reunion in heaven.  I am given the peace of God that is spoken at the funeral of a loved one.  The funeral service reminds me of the blessings given to all believers; that promise is sure and certain.

Eyer reminds all believers that we have life in Christ.  Knowing this, it is easier to face death.  There is a beginning after the end.  Christ conquered death, and now eternal life is ours.  Alleluia!

One of my favorite parts in the liturgy is the singing of the “Holy, holy, holy.”  I love that we are singing with “angels and archangels and all the company of heaven.”  I’m singing with loved ones who are enjoying the presence of Christ in its fullness.  As an organist, I play this portion of the liturgy quite triumphantly.  It’s a joining of heaven and earth – how glorious!  I can hardly wait to join that heavenly chorus.

They Will See His Fac
e by Richard Eyer – Preface
They Will See His Fa
ce by Richard Eyer – Chapters 1 and 2

They Will See His F
ace by Richard Eyer – Chapter 3

No comments:

Post a Comment