Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Sunday, January 29, 2012

They Will See His Face – Part 3

Kristi writes:

Richard Eyer's book They Will See His Face continues to impress me.  Here are some thoughts on Chapter 3 - Liturgical Prayer and the Healing of Our Loneliness.

Eyer points out the difference between loneliness and solitude: Loneliness is painful; solitude is peaceful.  I've experienced loneliness and solitude.  Eyer gets the definition right on both accounts.  Loneliness is a place where you are turned in on yourself.  Solitude is a state that comes from outside yourself.

This leads me to wonder how so many people can be content with "worshiping" at home by themselves.  I am so tired of hearing the question, "Pastor, is it better to be fishing on Sunday morning, thinking about God; or being in church on Sunday morning, wishing I was fishing?"  Sin grabs hold and wants me to plot my own chart, do my own thing, and tell God how to run the show.  It's all about me.  This is sin, and I know it.  I am driven to my knees, begging God to forgive me of breaking the First Commandment yet again.

I like Eyer's thoughts regarding public and private prayer. They are two different things and should not be compared side-by-side in their purpose.  He reminds us that private prayer gives us the opportunity to share with God our deepest thoughts and desires.  Yet there is much to be gleaned by participating in public prayer.  In this way, our thoughts are not on ourselves only, but on the needs of the whole body of Christ.  Yes, sometimes it does get tiring repeating the phrase, "Hear our prayer."  However, this repetition points me to the object of my faith - Jesus Christ.  The focus is Christ, not me.  In the Divine Service, God gives good things to me immediately.  To that I can say, "Amen!"

Written prayer is a gift.  Written prayer comes from the Scriptures.  These are words that get us outside ourselves.  It is so easy for me to become focused on my needs, my wants, my sinful desires.  Written prayer reminds me of what God gives, purely out of His divine goodness and mercy; He gives me Himself.  Nothing could be better.

Finally, Eyer encourages a specific time and place for personal devotions.  This is a personal struggle.  It is quite easy for me to say that I'll get to my devotions later in the day.  I need to attend to schooling, cooking, laundry, fill in the blank.   When that happens, trouble is bound to occur.  By making time in the Word a priority, I receive Christ.

1 comment:

  1. So right on the solitude vs. loneliness thing. I've been wondering how I (hypothetically) would respond to big family "home church" practice, and I couldn't quite articulate it correctly. With public prayer, with receiving Christ in and as His body, we witness to His gifts to all of us (and not just to those of us who are biologically related). Thanks, Kristi!

    ReplyDelete