Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

They Will See His Face – Part 2

Kristi writes:

I’m continuing to read the book titled They Will See His Face by Richard Eyer.  The topic is worship and healing.  Today I’ll share some thoughts on chapters 1 and 2.

Chapter 1:  The General Confession and the Healing of Our Guilt – Confession is a hard thing for me to do.  It means an acknowledgement that I have done something wrong, and I despise being wrong.  When I have sinned against Jerome or Joanna, it is quite difficult for me to swallow my pride and apologize.  It’s also humbling to hear the absolution that is given to me after I make that confession.  The Confession and Absolution in church works the same way.  I make a general confession, but so often I don’t want to reflect on those specific sins.  Then I miss out on the sweet Gospel of forgiveness.

Eyer points out the joy in hearing the absolution.
We leave behind our guilt, and we move on to the worship of God with "angels and archangels and all the company off heaven.” We are free to leave our sins at the altar and walk with the host of believers.   Having been cleansed and absolved, I now receive receive the body and blood of my Lord with fellow believers.  That drives me to my knees.

Eyer goes on to share the joy that comes from private confession.  The Lutheran church has not mandated this but is becoming more vocal in sharing the relief that comes from such.  A sin that burdens us is like a cancer.  It continues to grow and fester and cause us more problems.  Jesus is the cure; He removes all of the cancer and renews us by His Word and Sacraments.

We truly are sick with sin.  Eyer writes: In private Confession and Absolution the hand of God rests on us more specifically as a healing presence when the pastor makes the sign of the cross on us and assures us that our sins are forgiven… Confession, also the work of the Holy Spirit within us, is the surgery God performs that removes the cancerous condition that kills.  Absolution, the work of Jesus Christ, is the new life that gives us hope and a future.  Jesus is the only one who can heal us.  I am now beginning to understand the connection between worship and healing.

Chapter 2: The Name of God and the Healing of Our Anxiety –  I could spend a lot of time worrying.  Even worse, though, is being anxious.  I think of worry as a short-term phrase.  If I am anxious, it continues to plague me.    When I turn in on myself, I see only problems that need fixing.  I cannot correct these issues by myself, though.  That only provides short-term relief.  Rather, I need fixing that comes from outside myself.  I am so sick with sin that I have no idea how to fix it.  I do know that God can provide healing of the mind.  He takes my burdens and grants me peace.

When I sit in the church pew (or on the organ bench), I pray that I remain focused on the gifts that are being given to me.  So often, though, I am tempted to let my mind drift to the activities yet to follow.  I start to think about the events yet to come and my involvement in them.  I forget my reason for coming to church.  This is where Eyer gives us the “password” to entering the presence of God.  He writes: God’s response to our drifting is dealt with in the liturgy of public worship, and He begins by giving us a password by which to enter into His presence.  That password, given us in the Invocation, is His holy name of “Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”  God’s name slams the door on my sins and brings me back to the gifts that are right in front of me.  I have been forgiven of my sins and now I receive Christ’s body and blood.  I am now in the presence of God, where He desires to give me only good things.

When I enter the house of the Lord, I know that something special is happening.  The worldly values are not on display here.  God’s Word and Sacraments are here FOR ME.  I am comforted each week when I sit in the pew because I know what is coming.  There are no huge surprises or new teachings.  They are the truths that my forefathers were taught and passed along to their children.  The Church sings together – those seated beside me and those already singing praises in heaven.  It is in church that I know WHO I am and WHOSE I am.  That brings true joy and comfort.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kristi. Here are some of my thoughts on the book so far, sorry they're jumbly, I'm trying to type before all the babies erupt!

    I've just finished chapter 2 and I found this book to be a great reminder of what is happening in the Divine Service. I didn't grow up in the Lutheran church so it took me a long time to learn and understand what God is giving us in worship. It took me a long time to learn that worship is not about ME and what I am doing or supposed to be doing/feeling.

    My “father in the faith” (home pastor) made the analogy that “going to church” for the evangelical is more like going to a country club, meeting friends, looking like you got it all together etc. I've known that kind of “going to church” and it wore me out and drove me to skepticism, hypocrisy and despair. For the Lutheran he said it is like going to a hospital, where are all sick and all in need of healing. It is there that God delivers His good “medicine”.

    Chapter 2 is called “The Name of God and the Healing of Our Anxiety”. I find that all the anxiety, anger, discontent I struggle with is always the result of my drifting away from Christ, as we all are prone to do and this drifting ends in His presence. I have to confess that the thought of going to church has become more of a chore than a comfort these days when I don't seem to be able to hear or think about what is going on around me. But every once in a while there are breaks in the “chaos” of my pew and I can tune in to the sermon, the confession and absolution, the prayers or sing a couple verses and I am comforted.

    In public worship I am taken out of myself and as Eyer says: “enter into a deeper reality that existed before the world was made” he continues; “The name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit opens the door to heaven for our spiritual nourishment and healing in worship.”

    Eyer also points out that in public worship we are given a glimpse of what we will one day know in full in God's eternal presence. Isn't it comforting to know that we won't always struggle with trying to pay attention or rowdy babies?

    ReplyDelete