Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Book Review from Jenny


 Jenny writes:

I'm reading Grace Upon Grace right now, by John Kleinig.

I find it a wonderfully peace-filled book.  It is easy to understand and so full of gems.  I'm reading through it slowly because of that.  Because of the gems.  Kleinig repeats himself often and I find that helpful.  His repetitious intent is, I'm sure, to drive his points home.  If the reader doesn't understand it on page 12, maybe he will on page 15. 

Some of those gems: 

receptive spirituality - "...it was Christ in the water and the Word of Baptism that worked in me faith and salvation.  And it was the faith of my parents and of the faithful people in my congregation that carried me along spiritually."  "Receptive spirituality embeds the life of the believer in the family of God and the Church."

poor in spirit- the Greek word for "poor" is also a term for beggar.  We are beggars before Christ, asking for what we do not have, and receiving the Holy Spirit.  "Yet that is only half the story.  We may be beggars, but, paradoxically, we also associate with the holy angels.  In the Kyrie,...we join the company of beggars who all appeal for mercy from Jesus as our advocate before the Father.  In the Gloria we join with the angels who stand in adoration and joy before God the Father as they glorify Him."

gradual demolition - I am being demolished, gradually and painfully , by God in order to receive all He has for me.  "He takes away everything that we have in order to give us everything He has in store for us."  "Our whole life as disciples is a process of receiving grace upon grace from God the Father."

meditation - This is what I am reading and digesting right now.  There is so much about meditation.  Kleinig starts by talking about Solomon and having a "hearing" heart.  And then there is Mary who "treasured these things up in her heart."  Right now Kleinig is teaching about the Psalms being the "best practical book on Christian meditation."  Most of the psalms are ones of lament.  We cry out against God along with the Psalmist.  But this crying out turns us right back to the One who can comfort.  Right back to receptive spirituality, back to grace upon grace.

Add this to your "I must read this soon" list.  I highly recommend it.

 
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. I like the phrase gradual demolition. We are constantly being renewed by the Holy Spirit and receiving God's grace day after day. How comforting it is to know that God has never given up on us; rather, He continues to restore us.

    I've got the book at home. It's time to start reading it.

    ReplyDelete