Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Our Father In Heaven - From Beth

Beth writes:

I thank our heavenly Father for my earthly father, James L. Stamberger, who was called home to heaven on Monday, Feb. 6, 2012.  It had been only eleven weeks prior that he first went to his family physician that eventually led to the diagnosis of brain cancer. My two youngest and I were able to spend seven precious days with him and were there the day he passed away. Even my hubby and two oldest children were able to join us on the Stamberger farm for a wonderful time with Dad/Grandpa the weekend before he died. Life during that week with him at home slowed down to a snail’s pace as I soaked in every minute of being his caretaker. He struggled with walking and needed step by step instruction to what he was doing at the present time, but yet could eat, sleep, and carry on a conversation so well. His sweet, appreciative disposition and witty attitude helped the rest of us to get through some tough days. We talked religion, politics, family and church history, laughed and cried together. He fulfilled his role as father so well in that he continued teaching little life lessons and giving us advice up until the end. When I think of my dad’s love for his family, I can’t help but feel overwhelmed with how much our Father in heaven must love us as His dear children to sacrifice His own Son in our place. 

It was only on that Monday, the 6th, that he woke with excruciating pain from headaches. He eventually became nonresponsive and appeared to be able to sleep. We had him transported to the local hospital for a CT scan due to the abrupt change from the night before. The scan showed profuse swelling that was cutting off the flow of blood to his brain. He died there in the ER room with my mom, siblings and me, his sister and brother-in-law, and pastor at his bedside. We had the privilege of reciting the Lord’s Prayer, Creed, Psalms, and singing hymns together before the angels carried him home to be with Jesus.  Looking back on it now, I see how gracious and merciful our God is in all that he spared my dad (and mom, too).  Dad was to start radiation treatments on the day he passed away. We were all so worried what the treatments might do to him. But my dad’s days were beautifully orchestrated by God’s hand and I thank Him for the comfort that brings. I miss my dad so much and can hear his voice throughout the day and all that we shared together. What comfort Christ’s victory over sin, death, and the devil gives us as we look forward to one day joining our loved ones in heaven!
Your thoughts and prayers mean so much to me and I thank you. If you’d like, you can view my dad’s obituary at www.bcrnews.com   

3 comments:

  1. Oh Beth, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose a parent. What a beautiful witness you supplied in your post, though, to the promises of Christ and the gifts of our Father. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

    God's blessings and everlasting peace be on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth - What a blessing that your father was able to converse with you so close to the end of his life. May you be comforted in the knowledge that a blessed reunion awaits you in heaven. The peace of the Lord be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, thank you for sharing such special memories and, as Jenny said, a beautiful witness of the promises of Christ in your last days with your dad. So many think of you and love you! "For I know that my Redeemer lives,
    and at the last He will stand upon the earth. And after my skin has been thus destroyed, yet in my flesh I shall see God, whom I shall see for myself, and my eyes shall behold, and not another" (Job 19:25-27). And we shall see our loved ones who have died in Him, too--because He has done all things for us.

    ReplyDelete