Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Contentment....to be or not to be....that is the question


Kathy F. writes:

A question? Or is it? Doesn't the Lord say that we are to be content with whatever we have and wherever we are? To trust only in Him for our Daily Bread...."Give us this day our Daily Bread"? Sigh....in this world, that is one hard thing to do. Lately I have caught myself complaining about some of the craziest things...having to put gas in the car....again. (Well, at least we have a car...actually 2....that work well). Complaining about not having room in the refrigerator for tonight's leftovers (can you believe it...complaining of a FULL refrigerator..it's FULL for goodness sake...we have food). Complaining about having nothing to wear to church...all the while looking at an over crowded closet (NOTHING to wear...good grief). Complaining about the torn up roads from the snow plows last winter...but I never complained once about the snow plows actually plowing the snow last winter. Complaining about a cluttered and messy house and then complaining some more because I want MORE...I always want MORE. Complaining about the water in our basement after a 3 inch rain in 1.5 hours....but I should be grateful to HAVE a basement...a safe haven for us when the spring tornado watches and warnings are posted.

Wow...Satan sure knows how to take hold of my thoughts...complaining is easy, being grateful isn't so easy. And it's even harder to instill gratefulness in our children, especially if we, ourselves aren't. My challenge to myself is to be verbally grateful for at least 5 things everyday. I plan to tell my husband, my kids, my friends and whoever else I can find to listen my 5 things. Some days I am sure it will be easy to do...other days, not so much. But I figure if I can do 5 things a day for a while, then I can up my number...and change my attitude about all of the blessings I receive daily from our Heavenly Father. I challenge you to do the same.


I will start: I am thankful for air conditioning as today's heat index is to go above 100 degrees. I am thankful for a congregation that allows us to leave town for nearly 3 weeks on a summer family vacation...and allows us another 2 week vacation at Christmas time. I am thankful for the blessings of 15 years of marriage to Dan, ...along with 3 happy and healthy children. I am thankful that I am able and desirous to homeschool those 3 wonderful children. I am thankful for my dear friend at church who has taught me everything I know about gardening. Here are a few pictures of her handiwork....(I helped....but she designed) . I only wish I had a before picture....but simply picture a large dirt rectangle where a veggie garden used to be.



2 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated.

    In our efforts to adopt, (since 2006) I kept waiting to be content. I thought it might come with the addition of another child to our family. Know what? That was wrong thinking. God has given all good things ALREADY. I don't have to worry about keeping up with the neighbors. I may never have my quiver full of children, and that's okay. God has blessed me beyond measure ALREADY. I can confidently say that I am content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the thankful list, Kathy! It's so easy to fall into the "gimme" way of thinking (despite the embarrassing behavior it provokes--just look at those Berenstain Bear cubs! :)), and I do it all too often. And thanks, Kristi, for emphasizing ALREADY. He has already done all things for us!

    ReplyDelete