Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Friday, July 29, 2011

A Book Recommendation


My daughter turned 3 yesterday. For her birthday, her Godparents sent her a wonderful book called, Hosanna, Loud Hosanna A Treasury of hymns for children by Kelly Klages. I love this book! It's just what I've been looking for for a long time now, didn't find and thought about ways to make on my own. I'm so glad I didn't have to.

It's so important to me to have my little ones grow up learning and singing hymns. I grew up in a church that didn't value hymns, but saw them as "old fogie music", boring and almost pointless. As an adult I discovered the rich treasure of doctrine and heritage that they are.

This book has 25 hymns. It's divided into two parts. In the first part the hymn lyrics are written and are accompanied by illustrations for each hymn. The second part has the music, short explanations, questions to ask children to get them thinking about what the words teach and a memory verse that goes with the hymn. It's great!

You can listen to an interview with the illustrator on Issues, Etc. here. (Scroll down a bit to "Teaching Hymns to Children").

And if your babies like to color as much as mine do, you can find coloring pages from the book's illustrations here.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this, Aubri! Always great to get good Lutheran gift ideas, especially for little ones. This one's going on the Christmas list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with Emommy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a question about the age appropriateness of this book. It works well for my toddlers because of the illustrations which are great to use as visual teaching aids.

    The Hymn Notes in the second part of the book are a good guide for me to use, but my kiddos are still too young to really grasp a lot of what is presented there.
    So I'd say this book is definitely a good tool for older kids too, grade school-jr. high.

    ReplyDelete