Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Holy Week Cooking from Aubri

Making Lentil Soup

I thought I'd share some of the recipes I used for meals during Holy Week. For Maundy Thursday I made a Lentil soup (recipe here) and a Rosemary Flat Bread (recipe here). I'd never cooked with lentils and thankfully found it to be easier (and tastier!) than I'd expected.

Crisp Rosemary Flat Bread

And for Good Friday I made Hot Cross Buns. This has become a tradition for me and I'm so happy to have found a recipe that turned out so much better than my past experiences. I used Hot Cross Buns Recipe II here. I made them on Thursday and it was so hard to wait to eat these (ok, more than 1) on Friday. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Lentils are delicious! Glad you tried a new recipe with new ingredients. What I'd like to know is why you chose this soup along with rosemary flat bread as part of your Holy Week menu. Share please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jenny, yes, lentils are delicious! Of course, I'm a big Split Pea soup lover too so I guess I shouldn't have been surprised I liked them. I had fun with a new meal.

    I wanted something easy and a little lighter for supper on Maundy Thursday since we had services that night also I wanted to find something different or more "traditional" for the day. I came across a couple other blogs that mentioned having lentils. I thought that sounded like something I could pull off and with the dreary weather we were having, soup sounded yummy. The author of a blog I like to read serves lentils and has a "Mediterranean" theme for supper on this night. I really liked that idea so I kind of went with it, as far as my family would go with me that is!

    Then I had to come up with something to serve with it. I usually like a bread with soup meals and I can't even remember how I came across the flat bread recipe, but was glad to find it. I didn't intend it, but got to thinking it seemed the perfect kind of bread to serve on Maundy Thursday. My husband asked if it was "unleavened". And without the yeast, I guess it was!

    Next year I plan to do it again and serve grapes and olives along with it.

    ReplyDelete