Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas Traditions - Bethann

Bethann writes:

I have been thinking a lot about traditions since having Rachel. And the one I loved that my mom did on Christmas morning has been in the forefront of my mind lately. My sister and I would wake up on Christmas morning to gifts, yes. But that is not what I remember or relate to my blissful Christmas mornings. It was that my mom would make a birthday cake for Jesus. So we would sing "Happy Birthday" Jesus. Then my mom would remind us that Jesus is the only gift we need. I hope to continue this tradition with Rachel. 

Do any of you have a tradition or memory they would like to share? 

I could not believe how many professional and regular looking "Happy Birthday" Jesus cakes were on Google Image. I am glad to see that there are some people who understand the celebration of His birth then later His death & resurrection. Because he had to be live to die.




3 comments:

  1. At my parents' home, we recite Luke 2 from the Kings James version before opening gifts on Christmas Eve. Joanna has started to learn portions of it, and it warms my heart to hear her saying more words each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea and thought about doing it this year since my girls require every birthday party to have cake! I told them we were going to have a 12 day long party for Jesus, so...hmmm, lots of cake.

    I also love that your mom made sure you knew that "Jesus is the only gift you need". My oldest is 3 and I can see some of the "christmas is about presents" thinking coming out sometimes. So I really want to combat that as much as possible. We don't do Santa at our house either. I realize we can't "get away from Santa" completely and I love a cute figure of the fat guy as much as the next guy, but we won't be teaching our babies that he brings gifts.

    This comment is getting too long! Perhaps I'll make a post on more of our "traditions" later.

    Thanks Bethann!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of reciting Luke 2! That is a great idea, too!

    ReplyDelete