Golden and Noble Works


“A wife too should regard her duties in the same light, as she suckles the child, rocks and bathes it, and cares for it in other ways; and as she busies herself with other duties and renders help and obedience to her husband. These are truly golden and noble works."
Martin Luther

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Marriage



Bethann S. writes:
Happy Anniversary!
By the way I had to spell check anniversary. Anyway, the reason for posting this is because Nov. 21st is our anniversary. And this year we decided to make it low key. Which was nice. I made him a nice breakfast and he made me dinner. We watched our wedding DVD & first dance. Wow! What two years can do to your figure! That again is not the point. 
There are days since and before Rachel was born that being in a marriage has been hard. You think that we should still be in that blissful state of the Honeymoon...but it didn't last long...first NO call....then the long wait in the mother-in-law's basement.....then moving....getting used to being in rural town.....then pregnancy in the hottest summer on record.....then a newborn....so needless to say marriage takes hard work. And like our Pastor said in our wedding sermon...marriage is not always happy. 
That is true and sometimes transitions in life can make us act like little children kicking and screaming but our spouses help support, and love us, even if we don't recognize it. And today as we watched our wedding DVD right there on the title screen...a quote that was printed on our wedding bulletin....a quote that I forgot...."There is no more lovely, friendly, & charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage." said by Martin Luther. 
So why then do we feel the need to have more when God blessed and instituted marriage for us?



5 comments:

  1. I think our natural inclination as sinners is to always want "more," even in a relationship as fulfilling as marriage. Our expectations always exceed our reality. Also, I think some feelings for mutual companionship outside of the marriage bond are good and healthy (of course, I'm not talking about extramarital wandering). For instance, it took me a few years after Jon and I married to really appreciate a few great girlfriends I had (and have since met) and how important it is to me to have faithful, supportive, female friends. And spending time with them--even on the phone--helps our marriage, because I'm able to get other perspectives than just my husband's. He's my best friend and we talk about everything, but that doesn't mean we don't need other friends. That might not be what you're referring to, Bethann, but that's what your post made me think of. And happy anniversary! Every one is a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, as Emommy said, we will always want more, it's in our nature to be discontent even when we're surrounded by more blessings than we'll ever deserve. And as a woman it's in my nature to hate the submission I've been called to as a wife. Luther has an essay on the Estate of Marriage, one translation can be found here:

    http://pages.uoregon.edu/dluebke/Reformations441/LutherMarriage.htm

    It's not the one I read but should still be good. He makes a statement:

    "For the estate of marriage does not set well with the devil, because it is God's good will and work."

    It's no wonder the devil will attack our marriages. We shouldn't be surprised by our struggles and by how much damage two sinners can do within this blessed estate. And as wonderful as we all know marriage is, it is hard sometimes or a lot of times, it's a miracle any of us stay married! Our Lord is gracious and we are blessed to know His forgiveness. He has blessed us with the gift of marriage, it's a "golden and noble work" sisters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love having a place to put my thoughts & read very nice comments about what others think. This blog is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts, sisters. I have been blessed to have girlfriends who live both near and far. They know me and my husband and truly understand the unique vocations we carry. Our daily lives and struggles have characteristics that not all of my girlfriends can identify. That's why I'm thankful for this site.

    As Aubri said, the devil certainly works hard to tear down anything that is the Lord's. What a blessing it is, then, to have the Lord as the center and foundation of the marriage. We lean on Him, and He cares for us. It's so helpful to pray as a couple. Finding time for daily prayer together can so easily fall by the wayside. I encourage you (and myself) to make prayer a priority.

    Girls, you each encourage me in your daily callings. If ever I can do anything to support you, please say so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If ever I can do anything to support you, please say so." Kristi (and Aubri and BethAnn and all): you already do. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete